Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Year of Eating Dangerously


This blog is getting a lot of attention in the wake of Jamie Oliver's horrifying window into school lunches. This teacher is eating the lunches at her school for a year complete with gut-wrenching photos. Blech! If this doesn't make you demand some culinary perestroika , I don't what will.

I long ago gave up on school lunches. The food is horrifying. And disgustingly standardized. My part of Connecticut makes the best pizza in America, but the schools serve card board topped with ketchup probably baked six months before in Fargo, North Dakota, frozen and shipped nationwide.

I bake a batch of skinless chicken thighs every weekend, varying the recipes, and give my daughter one plus a salad and a container of pineapple rings. Here's a photo of this week's Asian-marinated chicken thighs:


Here's the recipe: Remove skins from five to six thighs. Whisk together one tablespoon each of soy sauce and Chinese cooking wine or sherry plus one teaspoon each of sugar and sesame oil. Marinate thighs for half an hour. Bake at 400 degrees F for 48 minutes (an odd time, but I've baked this many, many times and I find they come out perfectly).

No comments:

Post a Comment