Thursday, March 25, 2010

Kelly's Salad Dressing

Read the contents of a store-bought dressing, and you want to run screaming from the room. A dozen or more ingredients, many of which you need a science degree to decode.

So I've been trying to make my own dressings, but with little success. They always seem to come out too oily or too vinegary.

Friends came to dinner last Saturday night and during our pre-meal conversation I mentioned to my friend Kelly my failure to make a decent salad dressing. I apologized that I would have to serve store bought.

Kelly, who is an excellent cook (I still remember killer meatballs she made my wife and I years ago), insisted that we could do a simple dressing in a flash. Sure, I said.

I put about a quarter to a third of a cup of olive oil in a large measuring cup. Kelly then gave the balsamic vinegar three or four good shakes, yielding about four to five table spoons. We added salt, pepper and fresh thyme and tasted. A little oily. Kelly suggested adding a teaspoon or so of Dijon mustard. That was the finishing touch. In about three or four minutes, we'd made a tangy, tasty dressing, sparing ourselves the science-lab-in-the-bottle that is processed dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment