Friday, October 30, 2009

Evil Acorn


No, not the guys who help poor people vote while apparently giving tax evasion lessons to pimps planning on importing underage El Salvadoran hookers. I mean the real thing, which are so plentiful this year that walking in my backyard is like skating on ball bearings.

Apparently, you can make flour from acorns. A friend of mine tried it. Check out this link for the results.

If this floats your boat, here's a website with acorn recipes, including breads and something called "acorn hotdish" in which you boil the ground nuts and mash them with a potato masher.

I admire my friend's ambition, desire to use all of nature's gifts no matter how humble and willingness to try something new, but I think I'll leave my acorns to the squirrels.

1 comment:

  1. An excellent sentiment in your last sentence. And remember that "your friend" would never be so insane as to try this herself; it was "your friend's dotty unemployed husband". I am not a loon about food. OK, so once I snipped the ends off all my bay leaves so they would fit in my jar that matched all the others...

    ReplyDelete