Sunday, December 13, 2009

Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies


A friend of ours used to send us cookies at Christmas. They were so mouthwateringly delicious that we often urged her to start her own business. Unfortunately, she became a vegan and stopped baking them (Come back, Kerri, come back!)

So sans Kerri's Kookies, my daughter decided to try to recreate one of our favorites, peppermint chocolate chip. She took four or five peppermint candy cames and smashed them with a meat mallet. The family then had a long debate about how much to put into our chocolate chip cookie dough (standard-sized batch with two sticks of butter making about 48 cookies. We stirred in the crushed candy canes with the chocolate chips) . I said two or three tablespoons. My daughter insisted on all the candy cane she had crushed, about a quarter cup. My wife came down in the middle.

We tried three tablespoons and tasted. Not enough. We settled on about five tablespoons and baked. I thought it was just right,but my daughter said we should have put in more.

Later, my wife called Kerri who informed us she put in 1/3rd of a cup of crushed candy cane. That said, I still prefer the five or six tablespoons. I'd like to taste the chocolate chips as well as peppermint.

No matter how much, a superb cookie, one of the best I've had.

No comments:

Post a Comment