Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Good Bye Gourmet Project: Flank Steak and Noodles


Recipe Two in the Good Bye Gourmet Project. It looked and sounded delicious: stir-fried flank steak with a Chinese noodle cake and snow peas. Only problem was, my daughter's not big on snow peas. So I substituted broccoli.

I started by steaming the broccoli about three minutes. My wife and daughter like their vegies soft, so if you prefer your crunchier, steam it less or not at all.

The rest of the prep was straightforward. As my noodles boiled, I sliced the flank steak, chopped the scallions, minced the ginger and measured out the oyster sauce, sugar, soy sauce, etc. I judged, as I often do with stir fries, that the wet ingredients were going to burn off too much, so I added a few tablespoons of chicken broth (I make my own and freeze it in ice cube trays so I can microwave a few squares at a time).

After draining the noodles, I slide them into the pan. It took six or seven minutes a side and several teaspoons of vegetable oil and a heat closer to high to crisp up each side, hotter and about twice the time and oil in the recipe. After about 12 minutes, my cake resembled the one in the magazine.

I set the cake aside and completed the recipe, sauteeing the broccoli, the scallions and the steak and then adding the sauce, corn starch and sugar mixture.

As promised, about 40 minutes start to finish. The result was somewhere between good and very good. The meat and broccoli had excellent flavor, although the mixture was a little dry. Next time, I'd add a little more chicken broth. The noodle cake was tasty, crunchy on the outside, firm on the inside, although it was a little ungainly to eat.

All in all, a good solid dish. I'd make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment