Friday, January 15, 2010

Hawaiian Punch This Ain't


I unthawed more raspberries earlier this week intending to make sorbet, but never got around to it. Instead, I ate a small bowl with my bagel for breakfast.

With just about a cup left today, I decided to try making raspberry lemonade, a variation of the lemonade that I made last week. I made a syrup (boil two cups sugar and two cups water for about 30 seconds until clear), squeezed 5-plus lemons to yield about a cup of lemon juice and pushed the raspberries through a sieve to remove the seeds. I mixed the raspberries and lemon juice with 3 cups water and about 3/4 of a cup of syrup.

The result was superb, sweet with a hint of tartness. The lemon comes through initially chased by the raspberry. A very, very tasty drink.

The only downside: It looks like Hawaiian punch. Remember this?



Looking at my concoction, I had flashbacks to the funny guy with the straw hat punching out an old man in ads from my childhood. Maybe it was Barack Obama's grandfather. What was up with that anyway? Check out this vintage spot.

Any way, my daughter tried the raspberry lemondade and loved it. She took the picture up top. Pretty good, I think. Perhaps she's going to be a food stylist.

No comments:

Post a Comment