Saturday, January 31, 2009

No Gravy for You!


We needed a quick meal Thursday night (my daughter has orchestra practice so I don't get her home until 7:30 p.m.), so we ripped open a bag of Ikea Swedish meatballs. I'm sure my wife's Swedish grandmother is spinning in her grave, but the truth is they are almost as good as the family recipe. And they are fast: 15 to 20 minutes in the oven and done.

A key accompaniment is Swedish gravy in a packet (hey, you can't do it from scratch every day). It's simple. Water, milk, boil, stir and whisk. But I can never get it to come out right. Every time I make the gravy, it comes out lumpy, filled with unpleasant pebbles of undissolved powder. I try and try and try and the result is always the same: bad.

I finally gave up and asked my wife to do it. Maybe it's being Swedish or something, but for her it comes out perfect every time, as it did the other night. We do the same things and get different results. I guess the packet gravy gods just don't like me. Maybe I pissed off Thor in another life and this is his vengeance. No gravy for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment