Thursday, November 12, 2009

Back of the Package


We've all seen them: Recipes beckoning from the back or side panel of packages. They promise Rice Krispie bars, tuna casserole and muesli muffins, all designed of course to get you to buy more Rice Krispies, egg noodles and muesli. How good can they be?

For a sampling, check out this blog devoted entirely to back-of-the-box cooking. Today's recipe of the day: quick dill dip featuring . . . wait for it . . . Miracle Whip. Or how about this one for chicken and mushroom gravy. The mother ingredient? You guessed it. Campbell's mushroom soup. Mmmm, they sound so sooooooothing, as my friend Alice would say.

But not all back-of-the package recipes harken back to Jello molds, Wonder Bread and Studebakers. I've found one I especially like, Nestle's chocolate chip cookie recipe. I make them all the time. It's quick, easy and decadently tasty. I have a preference for the milk chocolate variety. Here's the recipe. I recommend one change: Cut the sugars to half a cup each. I like my cookies a little less sweet.

Just goes to show you that a good recipe can come from anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment